Tissue: Normal healthy human heart tissue
QA: No bacteria, yeast, fungi, mycoplasmas, viruses
Bioassay: Attach, spread, proliferate on Growth Med
500,000 HCF (1st pass) frozen in basal medium with 10% FBS, 10% DMSO
Cryovial Frozen HCF (306A-05a, Adult Atrium; 306V-05a, Adult Ventricle; or 306-05f Fetal), Growth Medium (316-500), Rgnt Subchlorine Kit (090K)
Proliferating: Shipped in Gr Med, 2nd PSG (flasks or plates)
Duplications: At least 8
For Laboratory Research Use Only (RUO). Not for human, clinical, diagnostic, or veterinary use.
Human cardiac fibroblasts (HCF) are the most prevalent cell type in the heart. HCF from Cell Applications, Inc. provides an excellent model system for studying many aspects of the function and pathophysiology of the human heart.
HCF from Cell Applications, Inc. has been used in numerous published studies, for example to:
- To determine that the electrical coupling between cardiomyocytes and fibroblasts is mediated by K + channels activated by Ca2 + that can be stimulated by estrogen receptor agonists.
- Show that the antimitogenic effects of estradiol on the growth of HCF are mediated by cytochromes and metabolites.
- To demonstrate that in response to mechanical stretching, cardiac fibroblasts release TGF-β which down-regulates thrombomodulin, increases thromboembolism, and induces differentiation of cardiac fibroblasts into myofibroblasts.
- To indicate that the activation of the G protein-coupled receptor kinase 2 prevents the normal regulation of collagen synthesis in cardiac fibroblasts that mimic the phenotype of heart failure.
- Identify the FGF2 signaling pathway as a potential target to modulate apoptosis in cardiac pathology
- To investigate the roles of scleraxis and AMPKα1 in scar formation after myocardial infarction.
- Show that KATP KMUP-3 channel opener preserved cardiac function after myocardial infarction by enhancing NO synthase expression and restoring MMP-9 / TIMP-1 balance
Cell culture Coriell Institute for Medical Research
One of Dr. Coriell’s many contributions to biomedical research was the optimization of aseptic techniques to keep human cells in a culture free from contamination. Today, the Coriell Institute continues our namesake’s legacy of proven excellence in cell culture technology, having developed gold standard practices in cell line establishment, cell characterization, and cryopreservation. With over half a century of experience managing millions of vials of cells from an unmatched breadth and diversity of human populations representing everything from presumptive healthy controls to the rarest genetic abnormalities, you can trust us as your resource for cell culture services.
Key Cell Culture Services at Coriell
- Establishment of cell lines from tissues and blood.
- Fibroblast, endothelium, smooth muscle, and epithelial cell cultures from biopsies
- Lymphoblast lines transformed by Epstein-Barr virus
- Isolation and cryopreservation of buffy coats (peripheral blood mononuclear cells)
- Cell line expansion for distribution, stock keeping, molecular and cytogenetic analysis
- Quality control evaluation of existing cell lines.
- Mycoplasma contamination detection
- Fail-safe storage of plasma, serum, and other biological samples
- Controlled access to samples and associated data
- Redundant backup generators
- Personalized cell banking